Library Service Information
Library Service Information
In Person Services
Library opening September 22 for limited services by appointment only.
Welcome Back to the Port Jervis Free Library!
We’ve missed you and we are so excited to announce we have opened our doors to: 25-minute in-person visits by appointment for browsing and public computer use with printing, select services including photocopies and faxing.
We’ve been working hard to reopen in a manner that maintains the health & safety of our patrons and our staff.
As we make our way towards restoring in-person services to our community, we ask that our patrons review the new safety protocols and procedures that we have put in place to ensure the health and safety of all.
Please review the Patron Guidelines before making an appointment to visit the library (available online).
LIBRARY BUILDING OPEN TO VISITORS (starting 9/22/20)
Services Available At Port Jervis Free Library Building
- Browsing of Adult, Children & Teen Collections, as well as audiobooks and magazines for checkout (25-minute limit)
- Public Computer Use with printing
- Curbside Pickup of library materials continues
We have taken many steps to modify the Library facility in response to social distancing guidelines. We have also introduced a cleaning and disinfecting protocol that follows CDC guidelines every day the library is open.
Monday through Saturday: 2:30 – 4:30 pm
Please call us at: (845) 856-7313 x 3 for info or to schedule an appointment for either an individual or a family (please state how many persons in a family group). Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by and adult 18 years and older. Appointments are scheduled 24 hours in advance. Walk-ins are not permitted at this time.
CURBSIDE PICK-UP HOURS (by appointment):
Monday through Friday: 10:10am – 2:10pm and 4:40pm - 5:40pm
Saturday: 10:10 am – 2:10 pm
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN VISITING THE LIBRARY
FOR EVERYONE’S SAFETY:
- Do not visit the library if you have or had recently had a fever, cough, shortness of breath or feel in any way unwell.
- If you need library service, call us for an alternative method of delivery.
- Face coverings over the mouth and nose must be worn by all individuals over the age of 2 at all times inside the library and during curbside pick-up service.
- Practice social distancing; stay at least 6 feet from other people and follow directional signs on the floor.
In accordance with New York State mandates and guidance from the CDC, access to the building is subject to occupancy limits. You may be required to wait outside or reminded when you have completed your time in the library.
There is a 25-minute limit for visiting the library. Patron may browse the collections, use public computers with printing, use the copiers, and fax (ask at circulation desk for assistance).
While browsing, please make an effort to limit your time and only handle what you plan to take. Any items not taken should be placed on carts provided in the library (so that the items can be quarantined).
When Entering the Building
- All visitors must show their library card or photo ID as they enter the building to confirm their appointments to browse or for using a public computer.
- All visitors must sanitize their hands before and after using library equipment and handling library materials.
- All visitors must have their temperature checked (must be below 100.4oF).
- Borrow material by visiting the Circulation Desk on the first floor or the Children’s room.
- Continue to use our virtual services when possible. Go to: portjervislibrary.org to see our current online services that are available. Call or email us with reference or account questions.
- Please return library materials to the outside Book Return, so that they can be quarantined for the required number of days before check-in (as recommended by the Center for Disease Control & the Institute of Museum and Library Services).
- No late fees will be charged.
- No seating in the building, except at the public computers.
- No public restrooms are available.
- Library community and story hour rooms will remain closed until further notice.
- Basement level of the library is closed to the public until further notice.
- Use of library’s telephones will not be permitted by the public.
- No toys, games or puzzles available in the library during your visit.
Yes. Printing is $.20 per page for black & white and $.50 per page for color.
Can I make a computer appointment if I have outstanding fines?
Yes. You may still make an appointment and we will override the fines. Please call the Library at 845-856-7313 x 3 for assistance.
What happens if I was scheduled for a computer appointment, but I missed my window?
You may still take advantage of your appointment if you arrive late, however, your appointment end time will remain the same. Please let us know if you would like to schedule a new appointment.
Can I send faxes and use the copier?
Yes. Faxing is $1.00 per page. Copying is $.20 per page for black & white and $.50 per page for color.
Can I drop off materials at any time?
You may return library items at any time in the book drop.
Can I drop off donated materials?
No. At this time, we are not accepting any donations including the Book Cellar.
When will all in-person library services and full public access to library facilities resume?
We are working to restore all library services and access as soon as possible in a safe, coordinated and phased effort. We appreciate your patience.
Ways to reach the Library for Information and Assistance
- Phone: 845-856-7313
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.portjervislibrary.org
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/portjervislibrary
Please note services are subject to availability based social distancing standards and safety for both patrons and staff
• Patrons can reserve library materials through our online catalog. There is no limit on the number of items requested. If you don’t have access to the online catalog at home, please call the library at 845-856-7313 x 3 for assistance.
• When your holds are ready, you will be notified by phone, email or text message to schedule a time for pickup. Pickup is done by appointment MONDAY through SATURDAY. Monday through Friday: 10:10am – 2:10pm and 4:40pm - 5:40pm
Saturday: 10:10 am – 2:10 pm
• When patrons arrive to pickup their library materials, they will need ring the door bell at the side door near the book drop. Look for the “Curbside Pickup” flag. Patrons will need to show staff their library card to receive materials. Once your card has been viewed, a staff member will set your curbside bags down on the book cart for you to retrieve. Pickup will be completely contactless.
Other things you need to know:
Returned materials must be placed in book drop. Library staff will not accept returns directly from patrons.
Returned materials will be safely quarantined for six days.
Patrons can apply for a library card online. Library cardholders wishing to renew their library cards will need to contact the Port Jervis Free Library via email by sending a copy or photo of their driver’s license to verify their current address. Please send your requests for renewing your library card to firstname.lastname@example.org. If any questions, please call the library at 845-856-7313 x 3.
You can get digital materials — including eBooks, eMagazines, eAudiobooks, eVideos - and corresponding apps for your personal devices. Look for the Libby and OverDrive apps on your device app store; all of them are free - https://rcls.overdrive.com/rcls-portjervis/content.
Access Ancestry.com to research your genealogy and family history from home by going to https://guides.rcls.org/PortJervisALE - use 22833 as the password.
Patrons can access educational and informative databases - https://guides.rcls.org/ptjdatabases
Patrons can submit their questions to the email@example.com email and get answers.
We are fine free through December 31, 2020.
We are not accepting book donations at this time. Please hold your book donations.
Q: I’m wearing a mask. Why can’t they just hand the materials to me?
To maintain the recommended distance of six feet, our curbside services are designed to be completely contactless. We appreciate your understanding as we do everything possible to help our community flatten the curve.
Q: I just put something on hold. How soon will it be ready for pick-up?
Our computer system generates hold lists overnight, so library staff won’t pull your materials until the list is created on the following weekday morning. If you have any questions about your holds, please call us at 845-856-7313 x 3.
Q: According to the website, the materials I want are at several different libraries. How long until they’re ready to be picked up?
Currently, Port Jervis patrons can only place holds from the following libraries: Callicoon, Cragsmoor, Eldred, Ellenville, Fallsburg, Grahamsville, Jeffersonville, Liberty, Livingston Manor, Mamakating, Monticello, Narrowsburg, Pine Bush, and Roscoe.
When ordering books for curbside pick-up in Port Jervis, please check to see if the item you want to order is either in the Port Jervis Library or in one of the other libraries listed above. We are sorry for this inconvenience, but it is part of our effort to help prevent cross contamination and the spread of COVID19.
Depending on when you make your request and where your materials are located, getting all your materials together could happen within one day or take up to 3. Library staff will contact you when your materials are ready. Please call the library when you receive your hold notification to schedule a time to pickup.
Q: I have some things checked out right now; when are they due?
Please check your account online https://rcls.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/portjervis/ or look at your checkout receipt that was placed in your book at the time of checkout.
Please call the library if you are unsure about your due dates. Our normal due dates for library materials are as follows:
Adult Books – 28 days
Children’s books – 21 days
New adult & children’s books – 14 days
Audio books – 14 days
Graphic Novels – 14 days
DVDs – 7 days
Holiday books – 7 days
Magazines – 7 days
Q: I’m not sure what I want. Can you help?
Absolutely! You can call the library at 845-856-7313 x 3 and ask for suggestions or just ask us to choose a selection for you based on genres and reading levels.
Q: I still have questions.
We’re happy to help! Please call us at 845-856-7313 during our hours of operation – Monday–Friday, 10:10AM–5:40PM, and Saturday 10:10AM-4:40PM. Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also send messages to the Library’s Facebook and Instagram pages which is monitored evenings and throughout the weekend.
Faxing by appointment only
$1.00 per page
Outgoing faxing services only, we cannot receive incoming faxes.
Copies by appointment only
Black & White .20 cents/page Color .50 cents/page
Self service copying is available for the public. Copies must be paid for at the time copies are made.
8GB USB Flash Drives
Available for $5
Ask any staff memeber how to get yours today.
Computer Use by appointment only
Free use of computers available to Adults 18 and older with library card or photo ID. Port Jervis Free Library computers are unfilterd.
Children who want to use computers, must have a library card with computer permission sticker.
Printing and scanning is available. Printing is .20 cents/page for black and white and .50 cents/page for color. Funds must be deposited onto a library prior to printing.
Please ask a staff member for more information or assistance
Local History - currently not available
Free to Public
Doing research? Utilize our local history room located on the second floor of the library. Microfilm of newspapers dating back to 1856 and yearbooks dating back to 1902 are among the many items availble for viewing.